Thursday, June 4, 2009

Arrowhead Mills Baking Mix

I was not actually a huge pancake person before I went gluten free but since they're the only kind of bread I can competently make with more than an 80% success rate (not including cupcakes of course), I enjoy them quite often now. It also helps that my boyfriend is forever grateful when I make pancakes.

Arrowhead Mills Gluten Free

I've used quite a few GF baking mixes, Bob's Red Mill (pretty good), Trader Joes (pretty weak), and of course just plain brown rice flour (also pretty good), but Arrowhead Mills takes the (pan)cake hands down.

gf mix 1

Nutrition: Pretty standard GF flour, 130 calories, .5 grams fat, 1 gram of fiber, and 4 grams of protein. I'm happy to see this much protein in a gluten free mix.

The main floours are brown rice, potato, tapioca, and fava bean.
5/5

Taste: Though I don't recommend munching on this stuff plain, it makes some killer pancakes (and I figure breads, biscuits, and whatever else your heart desires). Last time I made pumpkin pancakes and had to double check to make sure I'd used a gluten free mix they were so yummy.
5/5

Hunger Satisfaction: As usual with pancakes, I was hungry only an hour after I enjoyed these. I typically only eat two medium sized pancakes.
3/5

Value: About $5 or $6 for a big box. The box has 20 1/4c servings. Though there are no instructions for pancakes on the box (I just sorta winged it, I'm not a recipe person), I figure using the waffle recipe (with vegan ingredients) would work just fine. I always use applesauce as egg replacer when I make pancakes and always omit the oil.
4/5

Overall: 4.5/5 highly recommended

You can find it at Whole Foods or any health food store.

No comments:

Post a Comment